http://www.sfmkd.com
March 28, 2024, 08:43:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Members Login Register DIRECTORY FACEBOOK TWITTER  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Round 2 Special Edition U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-D, Release Date: July 2010  (Read 11258 times)
Vahmp
Heaven don't want me, and Hell's afraid I'll take over.
Global Moderator
Warrior

USS São Paulo NCC-75633

« on: April 03, 2010, 05:39:40 AM »

This kit will be great for those modelers that love to light up their model!!!!

Site discrition:

Fifth in a line of starships bearing the name “U.S.S. Enterprise,” the Enterprise-D is over 2,100 feet long and large enough to carry 1012 people, mainly crew and their families.

This large 1:1400 scale model kit of the ship will come complete with all new aztecing decals along with the regular marking decals.

This special release of the kit is molded in clear styrene for modelers who want to add lights to their build-up. Kit is approximately 18” long when fully assembled.

•Scale: 1/1400
•Skill Level: 2 (ages 10 and up)
•Glue assembly, paint required
•18" long
•MOLDED IN CLEAR STYRENE!
•Includes full set of marking decals
•PLUS! aztecing decals
No price yet

Link to the site page:

http://www.round2models.com/models/amt/enterprise-d-clear

Laterz....
Vahmp

Lonewolf
Administrator
Warrior

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 05:13:55 PM »

The only problem that I can see with this kit is the issue with the clear styrene.  Clear styrene is, by its nature, very brittle.  I have the old AMT Pro Shop USS Yamaguchi kit, and one of the reasons I've delayed working on it is because clear styrene seems to crack and chip as soon as you start working with it.  Those of you that have built model cars know what I'm talking about.

There is also the issue with standard plastic cement and how it reacts with clear styrene.  Fogging will become a major issue if care is not used in glue application.

That being said, I still look forward to the kit's release.  Knowing the issues in advance will allow modelers to be more prepared to deal with complications during the build-up.

I honestly don't know if I'm going to buy one or not.  I still have two original-issue Enterprise-D kits plus one of the Fiber Optic kits in my stockpile that haven't been built yet.

"Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most."
Lonewolf
Administrator
Warrior

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 09:14:31 AM »

I managed to snap a couple of photos of the new clear styrene kit when it was shown at Round2's booth at WonderFest.

Side View
Bow View

The release is still scheduled for sometime in July 2010.

"Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: